Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Spotlight" Exercise: Shoulders

I'm thinking of occasionally shining the proverbial spotlight on a particular exercise that I find fun and challenging and this is my test run.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need anything other than the Press, Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, and Bent Row (not counting bodyweight exercises), but we're human and we get bored!

This exercise is an example of Compound Training, which is basically a Super Set for a single muscle or muscle group, and is also referred to as a "Tri set" because there are three alternating exercises. The goal is to do 6 reps of upright row with the barbell, 8 reps of dumbbell lateral raises (each arm), and 6 reps of dumbbell side raises, without resting between exercises.

The Upright Row (images courtesy of ExRx.net)


In a controlled motion, raise the bar up to under your chin. Think of having strings attached to your elbows and pulling from there. This exercise is probably the best at targeting the lateral deltoid - that's the larger, central head. I use a closer grip than pictured in the example.

Front Raises


Keeping your elbow fixed, raise the dumbbell until your arm is parallel with the floor. Alternate arms until you have 8 reps for each. This will focus on the Anterior Deltoid.

Lateral Raises


Elbows slightly bent, and hips and knees slightly bent, raise the dumbbell to the side until it is shoulder height. This primarily works the Lateral Deltoid, but if you bend more at the hips it will focus more on the posterior.


This will have you pouring sweat after the 3rd set!

Enjoy, and let me know if this is a positive feature.

3 comments:

lilly said...

You know, I've always preferred weight lifting/training to ANY sort of aerobic exercise...yeah, we need the aerobic stuff, but if I could get away w/not doing it, I would! These are 3 awesome lifts & doing them as a "tri set" really benefits you by blasting the whole muscle group.

Anyway, I like seeing what other people are doing, what they like...might not always be my cup o'tea, but you never know ;) so, yeah...good addition to the blog! :)

The Hodge said...

Good post. That rx site is also useful.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.