Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fat Man in Running Shorts...

As a fun way to incorporate a new kind of cardio into my routine and to help lose weight and get in shape, I decided I wanted to be able to run! I don't know if I'll be the 5 miles every morning kind of guy, but I want the skill and I want to reap the benefits.

So, I started the 'Couch-to-5K' program over at the Cool Running website a couple weeks ago. Starting it may be a stretch, I was technically able to do their first workout properly this morning (Yay me!). Basically, after warmup, it is 20 minutes of 1 minute run/jogs followed by 90 seconds of walking. It sure isn't easy, but I've progress from being able to do 4 of these intervals to completing all 8 this morning, and running for another minute a few minutes after that. The big stick was that I would sometimes need to extend my walk an extra minute.

So, over the next 9-12 weeks, I'm going to become a runner!

I also want to compete in a 5K this summer, and a sprint triathlon later in the summer/early fall. I'll get more deets on that later.

2 comments:

Tim Wilson said...

Awesome, way to go. Glad to here you will try the running. Be careful, you may get hooked like me.... then next thing you know you are getting ready to run a Half Marathon.

Great job!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I too have chosen running as a my way to get back into shape. Keep with it. You will have good days, really good days, and crappy days. Just stay committed.